Thursday, July 31, 2008

Fedora 9 is History - Moving to OpenSuse

Relevant XKCD.

Anyways, I decided that I am done with Fedora, at least for the time being.  I have never really warmed up to it, for a number of reasons.  The most annoying being, wireless is extremely obnoxious.  It used to connect to networks, but recently, it just has refused to connect to my network.  It fails to remember the Network password properly, and it fails at life.  I have to resort to ethernet to hook up to the internet; I already do that in OS X, I don't need two OS's which fail at wireless.

The other reason that Fedora 9 annoys me, is the fact that it uses some very wierrd file system (ext4 maybe) instead of the usual ext3 for Linux.  And do you know what that means?  It means, that windows XP CDs won't boot anymore.  I don't get it, but I want to reinstall XP, and Fedora 9 doesn't let the CD boot.  Very, very wierd.

The solution?  Lots of troubleshooting.  The other option, which I am taking, is to try another Distrobution.  I'm moving to OpenSuse, and am going to see how it works.  Eventually I will make my own OS which works perfectly.  That will be the day.

No comments: